As our nation continues to see increased demand for healthcare and social services, social work is destined to be one of the fastest-growing professions with employment growth at the rapid rate of 19% before 2022. Therefore, it's a great time for caring individuals to start turning their passion for helping others into an in-demand career. Social workers receive the rewarding opportunity to connect with diverse community members for dramatically improving their living conditions. Whether you're interested in working as a school social worker, clinical social worker, healthcare social worker, or community social worker, you'll have the power to make a long-lasting difference in someone's life.
Building a successful career in social work requires a special kind of person – one who is altruistic, respectful of diversity, compassionate, encouraging, and determined to eliminate social injustices. In an effort to ensure students with these attributes aren't turned away from the profession simply due to their financial circumstances, we at Social Work Degree Guide have created the Social Work Scholarship. Twice annually, we'll provide at least one (1) scholarship for $2,000 to an outstanding undergraduate or graduate social work student. It's our unwavering mission to help aspiring social workers overcome rising tuition costs to receive quality education and begin advocating for vulnerable populations.
Social Work Scholarship Applicants Must:
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled at an accredited higher learning institution with full or part-time status.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be actively pursuing an accredited Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW) with plans for professional social work practice.
- Carry a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 or better on official transcripts emailed directly from their high school or university.
- Display a strong dedication to the social work profession through participation in volunteer activities and/or community service with those in need.
- Print and complete the scholarship application.
- Submit one (1) cover letter and resume with two current letters of recommendation.
- Write one (1) 500-1,000-word personal essay describing future career aspirations and interests in the social work field.
The deadline for submitting your application for the Social Work Scholarship will be November 15th and April 15th annually. Award recipients will be selected within one month of the deadline and notified through email and U.S. mail.
Criteria for Selecting Scholarship Winners:
After all applications are compiled, the SWDG scholarship committee will meet to thoroughly review all candidates' materials. Winners will be selected on the basis of academic achievement, active involvement in school and/or community activities, letters of recommendation, and how well the personal essay demonstrates the applicants' potential for working as a social worker. Depending on the number of qualified finalists, an interview may be required via video conferencing for making the final pick.
Scholarship Notification Process:
By December 15th and May 15th each year, the chosen scholarship recipient(s) will be notified by email and receive a letter with a check made payable to their college or university of choice (unless otherwise agreed upon) for cutting tuition costs. Only selected winners will receive a letter from Social Work Degree Guide, so those not chosen will receive no notification.
Contact/Application Submissions Information:
If you have any further questions about the scholarship or are ready to submit your application, please send your email to [email protected]. Please include all required application materials as attachments in a single email. Send your applications by midnight on November 15th or April 15th to be considered. Good luck!
Our past scholarship recipients